Our response to COVID-19
We’re making it easier to reach Premier status
We made a lot of key changes in 2020 to support our members, like reducing our qualification requirements and extending status for current Premier members through January 2022. We know you still might not be traveling as much as you used to, so we’re making it easier to earn Premier® status through 2022. And remember — the MileagePlus® Premier program, unlike some other loyalty programs, has no distance requirement to reach status. You might not know how far you’ll fly in 2021, so rest easy knowing you can qualify for Premier status with just Premier qualifying points (PQP), or a combination of Premier qualifying flights (PQF) and PQP. And your eligible United MileagePlus credit card can help get you there.
Here’s how we’re making it easier for you to keep or reach Premier status:
- We’re lowering the amount of PQP and PQF you need to earn Premier status across all levels so they’re even lower than our original requirements for 2020. Learn more
- We’ll automatically add PQP to your MileagePlus account based on the 2021 Premier status you hold at the end of 2020. You’ll receive the PQP no later than February 1, 2021, so it’s easier to maintain your status in 2021 or jump-start your journey toward reaching a higher status level. Learn more
- Premier members will earn double the PQP on each of your first three PQP-eligible trips completed January 1 through March 31, 2021. Members without Premier status can earn a +50% PQP bonus, helping you qualify for Premier status through 2022 even sooner. Learn more
- PQP earned from your eligible United MileagePlus® credit card — including the United Explorer Card — count toward Premier 1K® status.
- We’re extending PlusPoints expiring on or after January 1, 2021, by an additional six months and making it even easier to earn extra PlusPoints after reaching Premier 1K status in 2021. United is still the only U.S. global airline to offer members the ability to earn unlimited extra upgrades after reaching our highest published tier of Premier status.
- Visit our Qualification page to learn more about all of the changes we’re making.
New requirements for 2022 Premier status based on your qualifying activity in 2021:
|Original Premier Status Requirements*||Reduced Requirements for 2022 Premier Status|
|Original PQF + PQP||Or original PQP-only goal||New PQF + PQP||Or new PQP-only goal|
|Premier Silver||12 PQF and 4,000 PQP||5,000 PQP||8 PQF and 3,000 PQP||3,500 PQP|
|Premier Gold||24 PQF and 8,000 PQP||10,000 PQP||16 PQF and 6,000 PQP||7,000 PQP|
|Premier Platinum||36 PQF and 12,000 PQP||15,000 PQP||24 PQF and 9,000 PQP||10,000 PQP|
|Premier 1K®||54 PQF and 18,000 PQP||24,000 PQP||36 PQF and 13,500 PQP||15,000 PQP|
Jump-start your journey toward 2022 Premier status
We’re offering a bonus PQP promotion for the very first time and all MileagePlus members are eligible. From January 1 through March 31, 2021, MileagePlus members and current Premier members can earn bonus PQP for the first three PQP-eligible trips you take with United®. And the more trips you take, the more PQP you’ll earn, which means you’ll reach Premier status even sooner. You’re automatically eligible for this offer regardless of when you book your PQP-eligible trips, and no registration is necessary. Please allow up to 14 days for the bonus PQP to post to your MileagePlus account after each eligible trip is completed.
What’s a trip?
A trip is considered a unique PQP-eligible ticket with travel on United within the promotion period. Travel must begin no earlier than January 1, 2021, and no later than March 31, 2021, to be eligible. If your trip begins before January 1, 2021, it will not count toward this promotion. If your trip begins on or before March 31, 2021, but is not completed by that date, you will receive a bonus for the portion of your trip flown within the eligible period.
What’s the bonus?
Bonus PQP awarded during this promotion will be based on the PQP value of your ticket.
- For Premier members who are eligible to earn double PQP, that means you’ll earn a PQP bonus equal to 100% of the PQP value of your flight ticket(s).
- Members will earn a PQP bonus equal to 50% of the PQP value of your flight ticket(s).
What is a PQP-eligible trip?
A trip booked for travel on United or United Express® for which a fare has been paid; award tickets are not eligible to earn PQP. Learn more about what qualifies as a PQP-eligible trip at united.com/qualify.
What’s the minimum amount and maximum amount of PQP I can earn?
Premier members will receive anywhere from 300 to 1,500 bonus PQP per trip: Premier members will receive a minimum of 300 bonus PQP per trip for their first three PQP-eligible trips. This means if you fly three eligible trips within the promotion period, you’ll earn a minimum of 900 bonus PQP in addition to the PQP earned from your flight tickets. No single trip will receive a PQP bonus of more than 1,500 PQP.
Members will receive anywhere from 150 to 1,000 bonus PQP per trip: Members without Premier status will receive a minimum of 150 bonus PQP per trip for their first three PQP-eligible trips. This means if you fly three eligible trips within the promotion period, you’ll earn a minimum of 450 bonus PQP in addition to the PQP earned from your flight tickets. No single trip will receive a PQP bonus of more than 1,000 PQP.
What factors determine my first, second and third trips?
Your first, second or third trip are determined by the completion date of your trip, which is the last flight segment’s ticketed departure date. If you have Premier status before starting an eligible trip, you’ll qualify to earn double the PQP for that trip as a Premier member with the 100% bonus.
- All MileagePlus members are eligible for bonus Premier Qualifying Points (PQP) through this promotion.
- Members must fly on a “Trip” (as defined below) between January 1, 2021 local departure time, and March 31, 2021 local departure time to receive bonus PQP.
- No registration necessary. No booking date restrictions.
Qualifying Trip requirements:
- “Trip” is defined as a unique travel itinerary, as documented by United with a ticket number, that earns PQP and is flown within the promotion period, January 1, 2021 through March 31, 2021. The Trip’s first departure date must fall within the promotion period to be eligible. Only flights operated by United or United Express are eligible.
- Each Trip must begin on or after January 1, 2021 local time. Trips that begin travel before the promotion period begins but are completed within the promotion period are not eligible for bonus PQP.
- Eligible Trip(s) that begin within the promotion period but complete after March 31, 2021 will be eligible for a PQP bonus based on the PQP value of the flight segments that depart within the promotion period. For example, if an eligible Trip’s outbound segment begins within the promotion period but the return segment begins after March 31, 2021, bonus PQP will be awarded only for the outbound segment.
- Only the first three PQP-eligible Trips taken between January 1, 2021 and March 31, 2021 will be eligible for a PQP bonus.
- Trip sequence is based on the completion date of each Trip and not on the outbound date of the first flight. Completion date of a Trip is defined as the originally ticketed departure date of the last flight segment in the itinerary.
- Travel that is not otherwise eligible for earning PQP (such as award flights) is not eligible to receive a PQP bonus under this promotion and will not count towards fulfillment of a Trip for this promotion.
Bonus PQP amounts
- MileagePlus members with Premier status will receive a bonus equal to 100% of the PQP they otherwise earn for the “fare” (as defined below) for the applicable Trip, on up to three eligible Trips, subject to the minimum and maximum amounts listed below.
- Minimum per Trip PQP bonus: 300 PQP
- Maximum per Trip PQP bonus: 1,500 PQP
- A member must have Premier status prior to first departure date on a Trip to qualify for the Premier member bonus on that Trip. Qualifying for Premier status during the trip will not cause the Trip to qualify for the Premier member bonus.
- MileagePlus Members without Premier status will receive a bonus equal to 50% of the PQP they otherwise earn for the “fare” (as defined below) for the applicable Trip, on up to three eligible Trips, subject to the minimum and maximum amounts listed below.
- Minimum per Trip PQP bonus: 150 PQP
- Maximum per Trip PQP bonus: 1,000 PQP
- For this promotion, only PQP earned from the"fare" on eligible flights operated by United® and United Express® will qualify toward calculating the PQP bonus amount. PQP earned from ancillary purchases, PQP earned from tickets purchased for flights operated by a Star AllianceTM member airline or another United partner airline with tickets issued by United, PQP earned for use of a co-branded MileagePlus credit card and other PQP earned other than in connection with the fare will not qualify for this offer. PQP earned from the purchase of Premier Accelerator is not eligible for a PQP bonus as a part of this promotion, even if purchased with an eligible Trip.
- The"fare" is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry standard exchange rate. Please note that the price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico.
- Bonus PQP for each Trip will take up to 14 days to post to the member’s MileagePlus account. This bonus will be reflected in the account as “PQP 1st Trip bonus”, “PQP 2nd Trip bonus” or “PQP 3rd Trip bonus”, as applicable.
- PQP earned for paid upgrades will not count toward calculating bonus PQP unless a new ticket with a new ticket number is issued. Most paid upgrades do not cause a new ticket to be issued.
- If you purchase an upgrade to a higher cabin class than originally booked and are issued a new ticket, the PQP earned for the fare for the new ticket will be the base PQP for the Trip that is used to calculate the bonus PQP.
Making changes to a ticket
- For changes to partially flown tickets, travel must be completed no later than 14 days after the latest departure date in the original itinerary to qualify as a part of the same Trip. Changed flight segment(s) that depart more than 14 days after the latest departure date in the original itinerary will count as a different Trip.
- Each Trip must be on one ticket number. If a partially flown ticket is changed for any reason such that the member receives a new ticket number, that new ticket number will be a separate Trip (if eligible).
Traveling on tickets with United partner flight segments
- If an itinerary includes flights operated by a United partner or other carrier, only the PQP earned from the fare for United and United Express-operated flight segments are eligible for bonus PQP.
- Trip sequence for a ticket that includes both United/United Express and other carriers are determined by the originally ticketed departure date of last United flight segment on the ticket.
Other important information:
- E-Ticket purchase is required. Service charges for ticketing with a United representative in the 50 United States, District of Columbia and Canada are $25 by phone, $30 at a City Ticket Office and $35 in person at the airport. Ticketing charges may vary outside of the U.S. and Canada and based on MileagePlus status level. The ticketing service charge does not apply for tickets purchased on united.com. Service charges are subject to change without notice.
- This offer is not combinable with other non-combinable offers.
- No Premier Qualifying Flight bonuses will be given in connection with this promotion.
- MileagePlus members need to apply their MileagePlus number to the reservation prior to departure of each flight to ensure they qualify for the bonus.
- Qualifying activity must be posted to the applicable member's United MileagePlus® account in order to qualify for this offer.
- Promotion ends at 11:59 p.m. (local time) on March 31, 2021.
- If transactions are reversed or canceled or refunds occur such that the promotion requirements are not satisfied, bonus PQP will not be awarded to the MileagePlus member account.
- All calculations and other determinations made in connection with this offer will be made by United in its discretion and are considered final.
- Promotion is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
- Miles accrued, awards, and benefits issued are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus program, including without limitation the Premier® program (the "MileagePlus Program"), which are expressly incorporated herein. United® may change the MileagePlus Program including, but not limited to, rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers or terminate the MileagePlus Program at any time and without notice. United and its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products or services of other participating companies and partners. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the member. Bonus award miles, award miles and any other miles earned through non-flight activity do not count toward qualification for Premier status unless expressly stated otherwise. The accumulation of mileage or Premier status or any other status does not entitle members to any vested rights with respect to the MileagePlus Program. All calculations made in connection with the MileagePlus Program, including without limitation with respect to the accumulation of mileage and the satisfaction of the qualification requirements for Premier status, will be made by United Airlines® and MileagePlus in their discretion and such calculations will be considered final. Information in this communication that relates to the MileagePlus Program does not purport to be complete or comprehensive and may not include all of the information that a member may believe is important, and is qualified in its entirety by reference to all of the information on the united.com website and the MileagePlus Program rules. United and MileagePlus are registered service marks. See additional MileagePlus rules and conditions.
We’re giving you more PQP to help maintain your status
There’s even more of a reason to take advantage of our reduced Premier qualification requirements and reach Premier status by the end of 2020: We’re going to automatically give PQP to Premier members at the beginning of 2021 based on their status at the end of 2020 in order to give you a jump-start on earning status through 2022.*
We’ll deposit PQP in your MileagePlus account no later than February 1, 2021, and the amount will be equal to 25% of the PQP-only requirement for your 2021 Premier status level.
**1K/Global Services members receive the same amount of deposited PQP.
Your PlusPoints benefits are getting an upgrade
More time to use your benefits:
If you have PlusPoints that expire on or after January 1, 2021, we have some good news. We're extending PlusPoints an additional six months beyond their expiration to give you more time to use your upgrade benefits on upcoming trips. This includes all PlusPoints earned from 2019 and 2020 activity. This extension will take place no later than December 15, 2020.
It’s easier to earn extra PlusPoints in 2021:
As a special promotion in 2021, we’re also making it easier to earn extra PlusPoints after you reach Premier 1K status. Once you reach 1K status and earn 15,000 PQP, you’ll receive +20 PlusPoints for every 2,000 PQP instead of for every 3,000 PQP.*
United Explorer Cards and United Club Cards help you get to status even sooner
For the 2021 program year, we’re making changes to the way some of our cards earn PQP and qualify for Premier status. Now PQP earned from your eligible United MileagePlus credit card — including the United MileagePlus Explorer Card — will count toward Premier 1K status, if you also meet the PQF requirement. Learn more
Visit our Cardmember page to see how we’re giving you an opportunity to get closer to Premier status with your United Explorer or United Club Card in the 2020 calendar year.
Not an Explorer or Club Cardmember? Learn more about each card’s benefits and our new Cardmember bonus mile offer.
Visit our Premier qualification page for full details on earning Premier qualifying points on your United MileagePlus credit card.
In these unprecedented times, we’re making some key changes for you.
On April 5, 2020, we announced changes to the United MileagePlus® program in response to the continued effect of COVID-19 on global travel. We’re so grateful for your trust and loyalty, and we want to do what’s fair and right for our members to ensure our program fits your needs during this unprecedented time.
Here are some of the actions United is taking on behalf of our members:
- Extending Premier status through January 2022
- Reducing PQF and PQP requirements for 2021 Premier status, which is based on 2020 activity, by 50%
- Extending PlusPoints expiring on or before January 1, 2021 an additional 6 months
- Expanding a feature of PlusPoints for our 1K members, Skip Waitlist upgrades
- Raising the maximum Premier qualifying points you can earn on United Explorer and United Club℠ Cards for 2020
We extended status for current Premier members* to January 31, 2022.
If you’re a current Premier member*, you can have peace of mind that your benefits will be there for you when you’re ready to travel again. Your current status will be extended through January 31, 2022. If you’re not yet a Premier member or want to reach a higher Premier status level, 2020 is your opportunity to do so since our requirements for Premier status through 2021 have been lowered by 50%.
We reduced qualification requirements for 2021 by 50%.
- Current Premier members: By reducing 2020 Premier requirements for Premier qualifying points (PQP) and Premier qualifying flights (PQF) by 50%, we’re offering you a realistic opportunity to raise your Premier level for 2021.
- Not a Premier member? With requirements to reach status reduced by 50%, there’s never been a better time to earn Premier status for the first time.
- Any travel you already completed this year, as well as flights you take later this year, can help you reach a higher status up to Premier 1K for next year.
- A minimum of four flight segments on United or United Express® is still required.
Requirements for 2021 Premier status, which is based on your qualifying activity in 2020:
|2021 Premier status||PQF + PQP||Or PQP only|
|Premier Silver||6 PQF and 2,000 PQP||2,500 PQP|
|Premier Gold||12 PQF and 4,000 PQP||5,000 PQP|
|Premier Platinum||18 PQF and 6,000 PQP||7,500 PQP|
|Premier 1K||26 PQF and 9,000 PQP||12,000 PQP|
We extended PlusPoints upgrades and made them easier to earn; Skip Waitlist upgrades expanded
- Any PlusPoints expiring on or before January 1, 2021, will be extended 180 days.
- You can earn a new allotment of PlusPoints for 2021 if you reach the reduced Platinum or 1K requirements.
- Unlimited incremental PlusPoints can still be earned — for every 3,000 PQP beyond 18,000 PQP, you’ll earn 20 additional PlusPoints.
- United continues to have the most generous upgrade benefits for our highest published Premier status level among U.S. global airlines, and we’re not stopping there. Skip Waitlist, available to 1K members, will be expanded in international long-haul regions for the remainder of 2020 and in 2021. You can see if Skip Waitlist is available for an already-booked flight by checking your upgrade options in My Trips. If you haven’t yet booked your trip, Skip Waitlist may be the perfect opportunity for you to experience United Polaris® business class. Visit the upgrades page on united.com for more information on how to find Skip Waitlist upgrades.
We’re in this together
We know your travel has been interrupted and you may have been feeling anxious about how your status and benefits were impacted by COVID-19. We hope these changes put any of those concerns at ease.
Frequently asked questions
Qualifying for Premier status through 2022
The 2021 requirements are a reduction from the standard Premier status qualification levels we originally announced for the 2020 program year. In April 2020, we reduced the standard Premier status requirements by 50% for 2020 activity due to interruptions caused by COVID-19.
We recognize that while many members are returning to travel, most members aren’t necessarily flying as much as they used to. For this reason, we updated Premier status requirements for status through 2022, introduced our first ever bonus PQP promotion to help you jump-start your journey toward status, will automatically deposit PQP in Premier accounts based on the 2021 Premier status you hold at the end of 2020, and we will allow PQP earned from your MileagePlus co-branded credit card to count toward 1K status. Best of all, the MileagePlus program is simpler than some other frequent flyer programs because there’s no distance requirement for Premier status, meaning every flight gets you closer to status, no matter how far you fly.
If your status was extended through the 2021 program year, flight activity during 2021 will determine if you have status during the 2022 program year and will help you maintain status until January 31, 2023.
In addition to the normal travel you’ll do in 2021, the easiest way to qualify for status in 2021 through the 2022 program year is to take advantage of our PQP bonus offer and take at least three eligible trips between January 1 and March 31, 2021. For details on what qualifies as an eligible trip, see terms and conditions. We want all members to benefit from this promotion which is why you’re automatically eligible for this offer without registration and regardless of when you booked your trips. If you’re not flying as much, you can take comfort in the fact that PQP earned from your eligible co-branded MileagePlus credit card will count toward Premier status all the way up to 1K status. Members must still fly a minimum of four United flights to be eligible for status, and members using PQP earned from their eligible credit card toward 1K status must also satisfy the PQF requirement for 1K.
Bonus PQP promotion from January 1-March 31, 2021
If you take a trip between January 1 and March 31, 2021, that is not PQP-eligible, then that trip will not count toward the PQP bonus earn, nor will it count as a trip as a part of this promotion.
We’ll award PQP bonuses to any member who begins a PQP-eligible trip on or after January 1, 2021, and no later than March 31, 2021. We’ll deposit bonus PQP into your account after each completed trip. Please allow up to 14 days for the bonus PQP to post to your account, although it will be posted with an effective date equal to the completion date of your trip. The promotion is limited to three PQP-eligible trips within the promotion period, and your first, second and third trip in the promotion are determined by the completion date of the trip, not the initial departure date. See terms and conditions for full details.
You need to be a Premier before you start your trip to qualify for the Premier bonus percentages, minimums and maximums.
We have higher bonus levels for Premier members to reward them for their loyalty to United in prior years, and to make it easier to maintain status through 2022. We reduced requirements in April 2020 for status through the 2021 program year to make it easier for members to reach Premier status for the first time, and there’s still time to reach those lower Premier status requirements. Similarly, our Premier status requirements for 2021 activity, which are lower than our standard Premier status requirements for activity in 2020, will make it easier for members to qualify for Premier status for the first time.
To be eligible for a PQP bonus as a part of this promotion, the trip must leave on or after January 1, 2021. Trips that begin prior to January 1, 2021, are not eligible for this promotion.
If your trip begins within the promotion period but isn’t completed by March 31, you’ll receive a PQP bonus based on the flight segments that were flown within the promotion period if it qualifies as one of your first three eligible trips.
If travel continues to be interrupted, we will continue to offer promotions in 2021 to assist members in maintaining or achieving Premier status.
If you change your travel itinerary after travel has begun, regardless of the reason, your PQP bonus will be awarded based on the segments completed within two weeks of the original latest ticketed departure date, or by March 31, 2021, whichever is sooner. If you change your latest travel date so that it’s more than 14 days later than the original latest ticketed departure date, those newly changed flight segments will become a separate trip.
If you change your travel itinerary prior to the first departure date of their trip, the new dates will now be considered the ticketed trip.
If you have not taken three trips, we’ll award you bonus PQP according to the value of the flight segments completed during the promotion period. However, travel for your trip must begin no earlier than January 1, 2021, to qualify as an eligible trip. If a trip starts prior to March 31, 2021, and is completed after March 31, 2021, we’ll award you bonus PQP according to the PQP earned for the flight segments flown within the promotion period.
It doesn’t matter when you book your trip. Members will only be awarded bonus PQP for the first three eligible completed trips as long as they begin between January 1 and March 31, 2021.
If you cancel your trip, we won’t award you any bonus PQP. If you don’t fly all of your trip within the promotion period or all of the flight segments within a ticket, we’ll award you bonus PQP based on the value of the flight segments you did take.
You must have Premier status before you begin your trip to qualify for Premier PQP bonuses, minimums and maximums on that trip.
We determine your first, second and third trips by looking at the completion date of the trip, which is equal to the ticketed departure date of the last flight segment within the trip.
No. If your eligible trip includes PQP-eligible flights on United or United Express, it can qualify as a trip as a part of this promotion regardless of who you purchased your ticket from.
As long as there is one United flight segment and it is a PQP-eligible ticket, it will qualify as one of your first three trips. However, you will only receive a PQP bonus according to the flight segments that are flown by United or United Express, not the partner airline.
There is no impact to your bonus PQP. If you receive an upgrade through Complimentary Premier Upgrades, MileagePlus Upgrade Awards or PlusPoints, your PQP bonus will still be based on the PQP you earned on the trip.
Most of our paid upgrades do not issue a new ticket. If you change your flight or purchase a paid upgrade that reissues a new flight ticket, that new flight ticket counts toward the promotion since the promotion is based on the PQP value of your ticket. However, most paid upgrades do not reissue a new ticket and will not count towards the promotion; your original flight ticket on an eligible trip will.
PQP earned from Premier Accelerator is not eligible for a PQP bonus as a part of this promotion, even if you purchased it with an eligible trip.
Automatically deposited PQP for Premier members
You’ll automatically receive PQP based on the 2021 Premier status you hold at the end of 2020. Please allow until February 1, 2021 for these PQP deposits to be made.
We’re going to deposit PQP in Premier accounts based on the 2021 Premier status you hold at the end of 2020 to give members a head start on maintaining their Premier status through 2022.
The amount of PQP that you’ll receive will be based on the 2021 Premier status you hold at the end of 2020. The amount of PQP that we deposit will be equal to 25% of the PQP-only requirement for your status level, making it easier to maintain status through January 31, 2023. Here are the PQP amounts we’ll be depositing by Premier status level:
- Silver: 875 PQP
- Gold: 1,750 PQP
- Platinum: 2,500 PQP
- 1K/Global Services: 3,750 PQP
The PQP will be deposited into your account no later than February 1, 2021.
Members who are in Trial Premier status will be given PQP based on their earned 2021 level, if any; not their trial level.
The effective date for the PQP that Premier members will receive to give them a head start toward earning 2022 Premier status will not be changeable and will be equal to the date the PQP is automatically deposited in your account. This PQP will count toward your 2021 PQP balance for Premier status through 2022.
Earning extra PlusPoints after reaching Premier 1K
Even during these unprecedented times, United is the only U.S. global airline that allows you to earn unlimited upgrades after reaching our highest published status level. United also offers the most generous allotment of upgrades to our highest published level, Premier 1K. As a special promotion in 2021 we’re making it easier for you to earn extra PlusPoints after reaching 1K status.
To earn unlimited extra upgrades in 2021 after reaching 1K status, you must earn an additional 2,000 PQP beyond 15,000 PQP. Premier 1K members earning 17,000 PQP will be awarded +20 PlusPoints and receive an additional +20 PlusPoints for every 2,000 PQP earned thereafter.
All PlusPoints earned from 2019 or 2020 activity currently expire after January 1, 2021, and will be extended 180 days. This 180-day extension even applies toward PlusPoints previously extended through July 31, 2021, since those PlusPoints expire on or after January 1, 2021.
Earning PQP on my credit card
Like in the 2020 program year, PQP earned from your MileagePlus credit card will not count toward extra PlusPoints after reaching Premier 1K, but it can help you qualify for Premier 1K status which earns +280 PlusPoints.* In order to earn extra PlusPoints after reaching 1K status, you must earn 17,000 PQP excluding PQP earned from your MileagePlus credit card to qualify for an additional +20 PlusPoints.