Our response to COVID-19
In these unprecedented times, we’re making some key changes for you.
On April 5, 2020, we announced changes to the United MileagePlus® program in response to the continued effect of COVID-19 on global travel. We’re so grateful for your trust and loyalty, and we want to do what’s fair and right for our members to ensure our program fits your needs during this unprecedented time.
Here are some of the actions United is taking on behalf of our members:
- Extending Premier® status through January 2022
- Reducing PQF and PQP requirements for 2021 Premier status, which is based on 2020 activity, by 50%
- Extending PlusPoints expiring on or before January 31, 2021 an additional 6 months
- Expanding a feature of PlusPoints for our 1K members, Skip Waitlist upgrades
- Raising the maximum Premier qualifying points you can earn on United Explorer and United Club℠ cards
- Extending subscriptions an additional 6 months
- Waiving redeposit fees for 2020 award flights
- Making electronic travel certificates valid for 24 months from issuance
Members will see these changes made in their accounts and throughout United communication channels, such as Premier status tracker. Read on for more details on each of these changes.
We’re extending status for current Premier members* to January 31, 2022.
If you’re a current Premier member*, you can have peace of mind that your benefits will be there for you when you’re ready to travel again. Your current status will be extended through January 31, 2022. If you’re not yet a Premier member or want to reach a higher Premier status level, 2020 is your opportunity to do so since our requirements for Premier status through 2021 have been lowered by 50%.
Reducing Premier status requirements for 2021 status by 50% means it’s easier than ever to reach Premier status.
- Current Premier members: By reducing 2020 Premier requirements for Premier qualifying points (PQP) and Premier qualifying flights (PQF) by 50%, we’re offering you a realistic opportunity to raise your Premier level for 2021.
- Not a Premier member? With requirements to reach status reduced by 50%, there’s never been a better time to earn Premier status for the first time.
- Any travel you already completed this year, as well as flights you take later this year, can help you reach a higher status up to Premier 1K for next year.
- A minimum of four flight segments on United or United Express® is still required.
New requirements for 2021 Premier status, which is based on your qualifying activity in 2020:
|2021 Premier status||PQF + PQP||Or higher PQP goal|
|Premier Silver||6 PQF and 2,000 PQP||2,500 PQP|
|Premier Gold||12 PQF and 4,000 PQP||5,000 PQP|
|Premier Platinum||18 PQF and 6,000 PQP||7,500 PQP|
|Premier 1K||26 PQF and 9,000 PQP||12,000 PQP|
PlusPoints upgrades are being extended, they’re easier to earn; Skip Waitlist upgrades will be expanded
- Any PlusPoints expiring on or before January 31, 2021, will be extended 180 days.
- You can earn a new allotment of PlusPoints for 2021 if you reach the reduced Platinum or 1K requirements.
- Unlimited incremental PlusPoints can still be earned — for every 3,000 PQP beyond 18,000 PQP, you’ll earn 20 additional PlusPoints.
- United continues to have the most generous upgrade benefits for our highest published Premier status level among U.S. global airlines, and we’re not stopping there. Skip Waitlist, available to 1K members, will be expanded in international long-haul regions for the remainder of 2020 and in 2021. You can see if Skip Waitlist is available for an already-booked flight by checking your upgrade options in My Trips. If you haven’t yet booked your trip, Skip Waitlist may be the perfect opportunity for you to experience United Polaris® business class. Visit the upgrades page on united.com for more information on how to find Skip Waitlist upgrades.
United Explorer cards and United Club cards earn more PQP, getting you to status even sooner
Here’s how we’re giving you an opportunity to get closer to Premier status with your United Explorer or United Club card:
|Eligible cards||Existing PQP benefit |
Based on net card spend 1/1/20 – 12/31/20
|Additional PQP promotion |
Based on net card spend 5/1/20 – 12/31/20
|Total PQP earning opportunity in 2020|
| United Explorer |
United Explorer Business
NEW United Business
|500 PQP for every $12,000 in net card spend; up to 1,000 PQP||Additional 500 PQP for every $12,000 in net card spend; up to 1,000 PQP||Up to 2,000 PQP |
Enough for Silver status with 6 PQF
|United Club |
United Club Business
United Club Infinite
|500 PQP for every $12,000 in net card spend; up to 1,000 PQP||Additional 500 PQP for every $12,000 in net card spend; up to 3,000 PQP||Up to 4,000 PQP |
Enough for Gold status with 12 PQF
- Existing PQP benefit: Explorer, Explorer Business, the NEW United Business Card, Club Card, Club Business Card, and NEW Club Infinite cardmembers can already earn up to 1,000 PQP through credit card spend from January 1 to December 31, 2020. These Cardmembers can earn 500 PQP at $12,000 in spend and again at $24,000 in spend in the 2020 calendar year.
- Additional PQP promotion: In addition to the existing PQP earn opportunity, Cardmembers may earn even more PQP on their net card spend from May 1 through December 31, 2020.
- Not an Explorer or Club Cardmember? Learn more about each card’s benefits and our new Cardmember bonus mile offer.
- Visit our Premier qualification page for full details on earning Premier qualifying points on your Chase MileagePlus credit card.
We’ve removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year
To give you more flexibility, we’re waiving redeposit fees on award tickets with departure dates this year if you cancel 30 days or more before departure.
Subscriptions will be there when you’re ready to fly again
Members and non-members who’ve purchased subscriptions through United will have those subscriptions extended six months beyond their current expiration dates. This includes:
- United Club℠
- Economy Plus®
- United Wi-Fi℠
- Checked bags
Electronic travel certificates are valid for two years
We’ve made electronic travel certificates valid for 24 months from issuance, so you can book a new flight up to two years from the date the travel certificate was issued, plus you have an additional 11 months to travel. This includes all currently valid and all new travel certificates as of April 1, 2020.
We’re in this together
We know your travel has been interrupted and you may have been feeling anxious about how your status and benefits were impacted by COVID-19. We hope these changes put any of those concerns at ease.