Our newest option for award travel
Not all flights are the same, so Everyday Award prices vary from flight to flight.
Everyday Awards are here
We now offer Everyday Awards, an award with pricing that varies from flight to flight. Everyday Awards have replaced Standard Awards for all award travel booked on or after November 1, 2017.
Saver Awards are still available
We still offer popular Saver Awards, which provide the best value for award travel, and we’ve updated the Saver Award chart for Saver Awards booked on or after November 1, 2017. We also still offer our one-way Economy Saver Awards for 12,500 miles and one-way short-haul Economy Saver Awards for 10,000 miles for awards within the 48 contiguous United States.
Award travel updates at a glance
- We no longer offer Standard Awards.
- Instead of Standard Awards, you can now book Everyday Awards, with pricing that varies from flight to flight.
- We’ve published an Everyday Award chart and pricing will not be higher than what’s published.
- We made some changes to the Saver Award chart, including:
- Lower prices on most short-haul intra-region Economy Saver Awards for flights outside of the U.S., such as flights within Europe
- Increased prices on Saver Awards for select international markets
- Increased prices on United Business® Saver Awards for U.S. premium transcontinental routes and for select Hawaii routes
- There is now a $125 redeposit fee for members who do not show up for their flight and request a redeposit of their miles. This fee applies to all award bookings made on or after November 1, 2017, and applies to all members.
What’s staying the same
- We still offer two types of awards, Saver Awards and now Everyday Awards, for tickets booked on or after November 1, 2017.
- There are no pricing changes for Economy Saver Award travel to, from or within the 48 contiguous United States.
- You can still take advantage of the Excursionist Perk, which is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries, assuming all requirements are met.
- Our close-in fee structure stays the same, as well as fees that are incurred at reservations offices and fees for changes or redeposit requests made before your departure.
- We continue to offer MileagePlus® Upgrade Awards.
FAQs about Everyday Awards
What are Everyday Awards?
Everyday Awards are a new type of air travel award with pricing that varies from flight to flight. They replaced Standard Awards on November 1, 2017.
Why did you make these changes?
Since flight prices fluctuate based on a variety of factors, we decided to take those same factors into consideration for award travel pricing.
When did the new award travel changes take effect?
Everyday Awards are now available.
Do the new award travel changes apply to me?
Yes, these changes apply to all United MileagePlus® members worldwide.
Does this change affect award travel availability?
MileagePlus Premier® members and qualifying MileagePlus Chase Cardmembers will continue to have unrestricted access to Everyday Awards and expanded Saver Award availability. View Premier member benefits.
How do I book Everyday Award travel?
The way you book award travel remains the same and can be done through united.com, the United app or at a reservations office (standard charges for using a reservations office may apply).
How many miles do I need to book an Everyday Award?
Pricing for Everyday Awards varies from flight to flight, but will not be higher than what is published on the Everyday Award chart. With Everyday Awards, planning ahead and booking early is a great way to take advantage of potential savings that may be available during off-peak travel times. You can search for award availability and begin planning your trip today.
How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?
On November 1, 2017, we introduced a new award calendar that shows the lowest available price for your search.
Is there a maximum price for Everyday Awards?
Yes. With Everyday Awards, prices will not be higher than the published prices on the Everyday Award chart. For example, an Everyday Award for travel within the 48 contiguous United States will not be higher than 32,500 miles one-way in Economy.
Did Saver Awards change?
We introduced an updated chart for Saver Awards booked on or after November 1, 2017. You will still be able to enjoy our one-way Economy Saver Awards for 12,500 miles and one-way short-haul Economy Saver Awards for 10,000 miles for awards within the 48 contiguous United States. We lowered prices on most short-haul intra-region Economy Saver Awards for regions outside of the U.S., such as flights within Europe. Short-haul intra-region pricing applies if the award is on a single nonstop flight and less than 800 miles in one of the MileagePlus regions defined on our award chart. Pricing increased on Saver Award travel for select international markets and on United Business® Saver Awards for U.S. premium transcontinental routes and for select Hawaii routes.
Are there changes to award travel fees?
Yes. If you do not show up for your flight and request a redeposit of your miles, the redeposit fee will be $125. This fee applies to all award bookings made on or after November 1, 2017, and applies to all members. Fees for changes, close-in award bookings, ticketing with a United representative, and award redeposit made prior to departure have stayed the same.
Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an Everyday Award?
No, just like today, award travel is not eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
Does this change affect multi-city bookings?
You are still able to take advantage of easy and customized one-way, roundtrip and multi-city trips when you book award travel, and you can still enjoy the benefits of the Excursionist Perk, a free one-way award within select multi-city trips, assuming all requirements are met. All you have to do to receive the Excursionist Perk is book a multi-city award itinerary with three or more one-way awards and one of those awards will be free, if the qualifying conditions are met.
Does this change affect Mileage Upgrade Awards?
What if I need to change my existing Standard Award?
Any changes will require a ticket reissue and new pricing and additional fees may apply.
If I no show and want my miles back, do I need to pay the $125 fee in addition to the regular cancel fee?
No – you will only be charged the $125 fee for not canceling prior to departure time.